Originally Posted by jpsdad
Originally Posted by esshup
I have the same problem up here. There is a fish farm in Mi. that is only concerned with selling fish, (and another place here in Indiana). The place in Mi only sells Hybrid Bluegills and recommended stocking 300 LMB per acre to a person with a 3 ac pond that wanted to grow large bass.

The place in Indiana did an electroshock survey and the LMB were 60%-70% RW. Their recommendation was to stock 100 LMB per surface acre to "diversify the genetics", and to stock another 1,000 BG per acre. They also recommended NOT removing any LMB for the next 2 years (that's when they were scheduled to do another e-shock survey).

This kind of advice is disheartening indeed. Very sad to hear it. I have to wonder if people who make recommendations like that are just well meaning stupid people who have disillusioned themselves by cultivating lies to themselves. Or if they are really clever people who see an opportunity to fleece and take advantage of their customer's trust. Either is unacceptable of course.

I think it's the latter because both places have been in business for over 30 years (IIRC).

Last year I was stocking a pond with Triploid Grass Carp and the owner said that they stocked them last year but they never seemed to do any good. I asked how many and what size? Their reply was 14 (1 acre pond) and they were 8" long. (they have LMB that were in the 4# range.....) When I said that is probably why, because a bass can eat them easily at that size they said "I wonder why the other fish company never said anything. They knew what size the bass were in here."

That's the reason why we only stock 12"+ Triploid Grass Carp. Saves us from carrying different sizes and having to ask the customer what size bass they have in their pond, then trying to explain why stocking small ones in a pond with large bass isn't such a good idea (for the pond owner).

I've seen LMB in a pond when the TGC are stocked, glide up to one, grab it then about 3 -5 seconds later spit it out because they can't eat them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).