Originally Posted by FishinRod
jpsdad,

That sounds like an excellent "system" for good CC fishing and eating!

I might try a "poor-boy" version of that.

I think the consensus is for zero intentional spawning habitat in the CC pond. I wanted to then place 3-4 CC in a micro forage pond with spawning structure. If they pull off a successful spawn, then I will lower the water level and remove the adult CC. I will then try to grow out the appropriate number of fry to a size that will survive being transferred back into the main CC pond.

Anybody have an idea on the minimum size requirement of the micro-pond for the CC to spawn?

We're it me, I think I would try to grow 3 to 4 years worth of fingerlings every 3 to 4 years where the fingerling attain 6" the first summer and are then fed slow growth maintenance rations thereafter. One thing I will mention, 1 to 2" fry could be purchased for no more than 20 cents each, probably less. This is what catfish farmers who grow their own fingerlings purchase. They grow them to 6" then use them stock grow-out ponds.

It takes a year and a half to grow a CC to >1 lbs. They really need to be longer than 4" in the spring to make a fish you can filet by fall. So 6" fish is almost 3 times better than a 4" one. But once you get them to 6" you can grow them very slowly and stock following years. This may be especially helpful if you are actually hatching the fry as you mentioned interest in above. Think about how you would like to manage the growout pond of .5 to 1 acres. How much production do you want? what will be your annual stocking rate? From there decide whether you will grow new fry yearly or try to keep fingerlings over a 3 or 4 year period. After that I could share some ideas on how big a pond to devote to fingerling grow-out.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers