I called and talked to Zetts Fish Farm today and asked if their yellow perch will survive in my pond here is Southeast Texas. They said if it is not too shallow.
My pond is 1/3 acre with a 600' long ditch system for breeding. The main pond is over 25' deep in the center.
Does anybody have yellow perch in their central Texas ponds?

Cody Note: IMO Zetts will tell you anything to sell you fish. IMO YP will struggle and do it very poorly during the summer heat of SE Texas. The younger YP and those less than 9" can tolerate 90F water but I am not sure for how many days or weeks. Many old large YP 9"+ struggle to survive when the water gets above 84F-86F. IMO your best chance of getting YP to survive in Texas ponds is to obtain your broodstock from one of the TX waters that has yellow perch. These individuals have adapted to the TX climate.

Below is information from the link:
https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu...checklist.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y
Check these waters in Texas where YP have been stocked and reportedly occur for obtaining the broodstock YP. YP stocker individuals from other states might be a poor investment?
""In Texas, this introduced species (YP) has established breeding populations only in the Rio Grande near El Paso, in Meredith Reservoir on the Canadian River, and Greenbelt Reservoir on the Salt Fork of the Red River, despite being introduced into many other waters in the state.""

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/16/21 07:46 PM.

I work so I can buy things, give things & do things...