Originally Posted by esshup
They type of algae that causes the off flavor is usually planktonic, not filamentous, so I am not sure if the Tilapia will or will not control it, or if the Tilapia will be "off flavor" too. . .

Most of the research I have read is that specific types of planktonic algae are most vulnerable to TP. One of the effects of TP is that they change the mix and proportion of populations (much like cattle will do in a pasture). The algae most vulnerable to TP are blue-green bacteria algae and their presence will cause other types of algae to be in higher abundance and dominantly present. When crop contents are examined, the tendency is that primary planktonic algae present is of the blue-green varieties. References I have read suggest or claim that it is the reduction of these types of planktonic algae that reduce off-flavor in catfish.

It may not be the consumption of the of these algae that causes off-flavor ... rather ... it may be related to their abundance. The catfish, for example, aren't eating them so why are they off flavor? One possible explanation is that blue-green algae introduce chemical aromatics to the water column that find their weight into the flesh of fish. Another possibility ... may be because the blue-green algae are not preferred by most pond organisms and/or because those that do prefer them are scarce due to fish density ... which leads to most blue-green dying of old-age. In such a possibility .. decay of these individuals release aromatics to the water. In cases where the blue-green algae are under cropped by predators, there is just a lot more of them in the water.

If one inhibits planktonic algae by algaecide, some water quality parameters will suffer. Also FCR will suffer because one will lose primary production that thrives in the feed wastes. There is such thing as too much bloom but the best solution would be its consumption. TP are good consumers but they will not prevent the bloom of other varieties of planktonic algae. Inoculation of other consumers may hold promise and this kind of solution would also increase yield.

Just to add my 2 cents. I did not notice anyone mention that CC will make their own spawning place. I have a half acre 100% clay pond. I was told they would not spawn, however they did, they made a hole in the side of the pond to spawn

That's great point and I have to wonder when or if fingerling producers will introduce female lines or sterilized fish for recreational use. Triploidy which is induced by pressure shocking through the first meiotic division generally eliminates reproduction and increases rate of growth. TP can be sterilized by temperature alone and perhaps we will discover so can catfish. Fish that don't engage in reproductive activity and the production of gametes grow a lot faster as this energy is directed into growth.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers