Noel,

My experience with pellet feeding of HSB was based on snrub showing his results.

(See his "Building new forage mini pond" thread, specifically the 11/29/20 post for anyone wanting more info.)

After they slaughtered the FHM forage he provided for them, the HSB then grew very rapidly on both Aquamax and Optimal. I assumed (wrongly) that his example of pellet consuming behavior was typical. I later re-read his thread and he states that his HSB were fed Cargill starter at the hatchery.

I did not realized that purchasing pellet-trained stocking fish was almost a separate category of fish!

I think you and Steve's advice about using HSB as a CC fry predator could really create a nicely balanced fishery. I think untrained HSB would be the stocker of choice.

I may try some very limited spawning habitat. Would the fastest growing CC be the ones that "win" the spawning rights? If so, then I would be naturally selecting for the CC that would be preferred for the pond's goals.

Catfish spawning habitat is usually set in pretty shallow water. If I get too much reproduction, then I can always pull the habitat. Heck, I could even try alternate year installation of the spawning habitat. That might act like "ladder stocking" the pond. (I probably should NOT use concrete culvert pipe if I am going to try that option!)