Adding to nehunter thoughts. I ended up using an economy pvc slide gate in the water side at the bottom of the pond. The slide gate is connected to a 1 1/4” pvc that allows me to open and close the gate to lower the pond at any time. The 1 1/4” piece of pvc is enclosed in a 4” pvc pipe about 6 feet long with a cap on top to prevent anyone from “accidentally” draining the pond. I have 2 telephone poles about 5 feet apart with 5 2x4s that act like a vertical ladder to secure the 4” pipe with pipe strapping. One thing that I recommend is to attach a female 1 1/4” thread at the top of the 1 1/4” pipe that is connected to the slide gate at the bottom of the pond. You can piece 1 1/4” pvc to make a T handle. I use the 1 1/4” male thread at the bottom of the T handle. To use my slide gate I pop off the 4” top cover that has the 1 1/4” pipe inside it, screw the 1 1/4” T handle and pull up to open the gate or push down to close it.

Economy slide gate link

https://sepipe.net/portfolio-item/plastic-slide-gates-and-valve/
These aren’t cheap but I found a 10” to 8” at a local plumbing supply company for a steal.
I hope this helps!
Edit: The one that I have is the middle picture.
Heppy

Last edited by Heppy; 03/11/21 07:35 PM.