I am contemplating adding some fish to my 1/4 acre pond as I believe it is shy of a good population balance. What I think I have....

40 HSB (20 to 30 around 3 to 4 pounds and 10 around 2 pounds),
20 to 50 HBG (all about 1/2 pound),
100 F2 and F3 HBG (2 to 4 inches long,
Zero to 50 Invisible RES (yes INVISIBLE - I have not seen one since stocking 90 of them 3 years ago),
And too many crawdads.

I think this due to horrible catch rates and poor attendance at feed time. AND, my guestimates are probably on the high side. Both the HSB and HBG showed a slowing of growth last year. They are in the neighborhood of 80% relative weight, where as the years before pushing 90 - 100%. The massive amounts of FHM have all but vanished. I think the loss in growth is mostly due to that. It seems a bit backwards that I think I have low populations of HBG and there is that loss in growth, but this is were I'm at with my theory. I think many of the original HBG and RES washed out the drain pipe the first year. I have added a 1/2" screen to the pipe to help keep the YOY in the pond.

My goals are to have much better attendance at feed time, a better forage base for the HSB, and better catch rates.

I am contemplating adding some 10" CC (10 total) for feeding time action and crawdad control, some more RES (20 at 4-5 inches), and some more HBG (50 to 100 at 4 to 5 inches).

I am open for discussions on the above mumbo-jumbo. Talk me into a different species, varying my numbers, hints on where to find the larger size fish, etc, etc...open discussion.

Heck, I have even thought about adding GSF and/or pure BG for getting the forage base up.

Fish on!,
Noel