I had a similar experience this winter. I kept the aerator off most of the winter in hopes that me and the kids could go ice skating. Well we did get the chance and enjoyed all 15 mins of it. But when the ice started melting the 1st thing I saw were all the tiny bluegill scattered across the shallow sand bottom. I knew from reading this forum that o2 depletion generally kills from top to bottom (biggest fish 1st) and it was going to be bad. As the ice continued to melt I discovered more and more "floaters". I think it is going to be a complete fish kill, the only critters I have seen are crawfish, frogs, tatpoles, and a turtle. No swimming fish. Although I didn't see the grass carp I added in 2019, but I think they along with most of the others sank to the bottom. I had a kind of mutt pond with some pics attached. I think I'll go more by the book this time around. And, like you, I'll keep the aerator on year round.

Attached Images
IMG_1868.jpg IMG_1874.jpg IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1881.jpg IMG_1890.jpg IMG_1891.jpg IMG_1908.jpg