Originally Posted by CityDad
@esshup

Do you have a stocking recomendation for adding shiners to an existing pond, or is the answer "how deep is your wallet?"

Since you already have bass in there, the first thing I would do is make sure that I had habitat in place for the shiners to reproduce and to help them hide from predation. Then it's see how fat your wallet is. LOL

I have little habitat in my pond for reproduction and for cover because of the water fluctuating in depth all year long. The only rhyme or reason is due to the amount of rainfall. When I say fluctuation, I mean it. Take now for example. My pond was at full pool June 2020. If my pond was only 9 feet deep, right now I would have less than 24" of water in the deepest part. It's gone from roughly 1.2 surface acres to less than 0.5 surface acres. All due to the ground water levels here in this area.

I stocked 200 Golden Shiners in my pond that were 9"-11" long. I had a Largemouth Bass population in there, and larger Channel Cats. Those GS didn't last more than 1-2 months.

Doesn't matter what fish it is, if there are LMB in the pond the majority of the stockers will get eaten if there isn't cover/habitat in there to help them evade predation. One year I netted out close to 3,000 Bluegill from a clients pond, in addition to close to 1,000 mutt goldfish. The goldfish went to feed the buzzards and 'coons, the Bluegill (2"-5") went into my pond. This was in October and when Spring rolled around I didn't see any coming to feed - the predators in the pond ate them all, or the majority of them over the winter.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).