PH was 8. Water temp in upper 50s yesterday afternoon. No moldy fish food that I can see. I've cut feeding for the time being until this gets under control. There are more fish coming up and some of them have algae on them so I'm guessing they were not floating and been dead longer than I realize which is leading me to believe that I had an oxygen issue with the cold weather. I don't have much in the way of vegetation actually in the pond water, but what vegetation there is it looks pretty dead from the cold snap.

Edit: Just went to check on the pond again and have a ton more fish. Lots that are definitely stinky like they've been dead for a while. A blue heron even pulled one out and put it on my floating "feed" dock and didn't eat it.

Guessing oxygen event. It's still very odd that I'm only seeing bluegill though. Still not a single bass. Though they may be about to start popping up.

Any way to test the oxygen in a pond? Also is it possible I was just way over capacity? When my feeder goes off I always sort of felt like it was an absurd amount of fish. I somehow had bluegill before I even stocked I guess because birds, so it's possible my BG population was already established.

So many possibilities. I'm trying to decide if I go ahead and stock with young BG for the bass, but I hate to do that just to have them die.

Last edited by Dilley; 03/07/21 10:30 AM.