Originally Posted by William Vest
My pond is mostly on my property but crosses the property line slightly and my neighbor hates the pond, it generally is only a ft or 2 deep on his side at the most but during the summer gets to be just mud. My plan is to dig my pond deeper and turn it more kidney shape and use the dirt to fill in his side and bring in dirt to extend the dam around.

William, there are many complicated laws in most states that become applicable when a pond lies on the property of two different parties.

I would not do anything regarding the actual pond WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM YOUR NEIGHBOR!

I would approach him with your plan to do some work on the pond. Ask him if he would like to have you ALSO fill in the portion of the pond on his land. I would even throw in another offer to sweeten the pot. Such as "want me to make a pass with the dozer to clean out the bar ditch along your driveway while I have the equipment out for the pond work?" Once you get the neighbor happy with your plan, then say you need some written approval so you can do the work.