William:

To remove the trees, cut them down, using a tractor or something else heavy to pull them away from the pond as they are being cut so they don't fall into the water. Then paint around the bark on the cut surface of the stump with Tordon RTU. Use a paint brush. I have a 150' length of 1/2" Amsteel rope that I use to help direct trees to fall the direction that I want them to go. It takes teamwork and 2 people to get it done. The higher up in the tree that the rope can be "tied" the better. I use a throw rope, pull the amsteel up and around the limb and use a clevis pin to loop it over the main line. That way when it is tightened, it cinches down on the branch and there is no know to be undone once the tree is on the ground, just undo the clevis and you are done. I have a metal thimble woven into both ends of the rope to make that easier, and before I did that on one end I slipped a 6' long anti chafe sleeve over the rope.

The bass that the person in the blue shirt is holding up seems a bit stunted. A pond needs 20# of bass removed per surface acre per year to stay "in balance", or they will eat themselves out of house and home. I would concentrate on removing bass that length and up to 3" shorter than that to help keep the pond in balance.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).