Originally Posted by RAH
I think that "facts" have become "beliefs" which vary by what tribe we belong to, especially which political part we identify with. This is no more evident than for beliefs associated with the pandemic. I listen to both extremes of the news outlets, and they both employ selective reporting. When I want to understand a scientific area, I use Google Scholar. Sometimes differing views are expressed on this forum. If so, I head to the primary scientific literature and see what's been researched and what results were found. We are all naturally biased which is why scientists need to be trained to push that bias aside. Even so, double-blind studies are often conducted to avoid this bias, even for well-trained scientists. I find that it is enlightening to listen to my adult children to see what their views are. Just residing in an echo chamber does not promote growth. Respectful dialog among folks with different beliefs just doesn't happen enough.

No need for scare quotes re facts. I mentioned a fact about criminal behavior that has well established in the literature for over fifty years and got put in FB jail for my trouble. Not because it wasn't true, they didn't even dispute that, but because they didn't like it.

Last edited by anthropic; 03/01/21 04:22 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160