For YP spawning on what shoreline is unpredictable. It is IMO pretty much pond specific. Put a couple branches on each shoreline and the YP will tell you which shore they prefer in your pond as the eggs will show up there first. Once the YP tell you which shore they like best, it will be consistent going forward. My YP prefer the east shore and somewhat use the south and west shore, and avoid the north shore. Branches that I use are saplings around 5ft to 7ft long. Some guys place whole tree tops in the pond and let them in place year round. Place the branch butts on the shore with the other twiggy ends in the water 12" - 2ft deep depending on the shore slope. I usually place a piece of thin concrete or clay tile on the branch butt to hold it securely in place. To get recruitment with LMB in the pond you will need lots or even extensive amounts of habitat structure cover. LMbass will eat slender bodied YP until they are 8"-9" long which may take 2 to 3 years depending on how fast you can get your perch to grow. Remember male YP grow slower than females. Two to 4 years is a long time to avoid getting eaten by an aggressive BIG MOUTHED predator. Good luck.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/26/21 09:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management