Canyon - My Pickerel Weed sees little water level fluctuation. A 10 inch variation in water level covers the year. The top of the soil it is rooted in always has water covering it, certainly an inch or 2 at low levels and at full pool its in about 8 inches of water. I have noticed no difference in its health at any of these situations. The shoreline along my dam is loaded heavy with rip-rap and this houses the bulk of the crawdads. This is where the Pickerel Weed is planted...the craws must not like the taste as it thrives there.

I planted them after the pond dam was rip-rapped and filled. I decided to construct a pile of rocks in a ring for each planting. My dam drops off rather quickly hence the need for the elevated rings to ensure they were planted in shallow water, but not so shallow that low pool would leave them high and dry. The rings were filled with seasoned muck dirt from the pond renovation and the sprigs were planted there. I have added more muck dirt to the rings over the last few falls because it settles out of the rings and/or the craws dig it out some. It has spread out from the rings into the surrounding pond bottom and my hope is that the dirt installments will become unnecessary.

I bought mine from...PondMegaStore. I have bought a couple rounds of plants from them and the experiences were good. The Pickerel Weeds that I received were nice while some other varieties seemed a bit on the small side for the price. For some reason, the Blue Pickerel Rush (Pontederia Cordata) all survived while the White Pickerel Rush
(Pickerel Cordata Alba) did not make it into the second season.

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 02/26/21 11:03 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel