Originally Posted by Hollywood
Found an old pic... Ice fishing the larger lake. Some of the bay's are loaded with pumpkinseeds. There's a representative bluegill just above the top crappie on the left. For reference, that's a 12 inch crappie.

URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/tomhollywood/media/icefishing002-1.jpg.html][Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com][/URL]
I cannot tell you how bad I would love to see the "seeds" in this pic...
Sorry for the dredge guys.

Cody Note: That is a great picture that shows the pumpkinseed(PS) can develop or is capable of producing very nice quality panfish. The original post said these fish came from a lake. I would like to see what the habitat is like for this pond/lake and what fish species compose this fish community. Notice - that crappie are also present. Evidently BG are also present due to the one pointed out by Snipe. Why were PS the predominate angler catch instead of the common BG who usually thrive and are most abundant when both species are present?? What keeps the BG and BCP from being most abundant?. Pumpkinseeds reportedly thrive on snails. What are the snail / weed inhabitants present in the pond to cause PS populations to grow to large sizes. Pumpkinseeds are mentioned on the forum frequently as a beneficial panfish. My question is what conditions of habitat, foods, and predators does it take to produce pumpkinseeds similar to those in this picture??? Is there a person here on this forum that has a pond that produces PS similar to those in the picture?? I have more questions than answers. That IMO knowing more info about this would be a great article for the editor to put in PB magazine. I have reached out to him with this Pumpkinseed information growing challenge for a future article in PB magazine. What literature is available for growing high quality pumpkinseed sunfish - none that I am aware of.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/26/21 10:20 AM.