Originally Posted by Jim Wetzel
Gold Kist Aquaculture was where I go my experience although I have induced spawning in several fish species. In all, more than one dose used, and males also injected to promote more milt volume.

Yeah, I was reading about doing a "priming" dose of about 25% of the total dosage, and then the other 75% of the dose 6-8 hours later. Does that sound about right, or are you saying they need multiple "full" doses? And do you know if its mandatory to inject the male, or does it just give you more milt?

What sex are your BC's?

I currently don't have any BCs, as I'm only in the beginning stages of even trying this. From my research, it says to do the injection during the fish's normal spawning season, which around here, is anytime between May and July. My plan is to catch a few broodfish of multiple sexes, hopefully at least 2 of each, and keep them in a smallish swimming pool, that's aerated and filtered. I then plan on using the hormone on the broodfish, both sexes if necessary, kill the males, strip spawn the females' eggs into a bowl, extract the milt from the males, stick them all in my fiancé's new Kitchenaid Stand Mixer (just kidding), and if fertilization occurs, transfer the egg mass into an aerated, heated aquarium (78 degrees from my research) until they hatch into yolk-fry. When the yolks are consumed and they turn into swim-up fry, I plan on either feeding them for a few days in the aquarium, or transferring them to a larger tank/pool where I will continue to feed them. A 7 pound female can lay 12,000-24,000 eggs, and I'd be happy if only few hundred actually make it to stocking size. Again, thanks for the discussion, I love this kind of stuff.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller