I'm pretty sure that once this weather event passes, the after action report will show that there's plenty of blame to spread around. Plenty.

So, what did you learn from this, and how would you prepare differently if you knew it could happen again?

We hit -3 degrees, and the big pond is iced over and has aprox 8" of snow on it, but we actually came out of as well as could be expected. We have a propane fireplace and cook stove, so we had heat, and could cook, even during our multiple rolling blackouts. I will up my propane bottle size when the roads clear, and the propane truck can safely get on the roads. I had our propane company build a hose kit so I can fill our small propane bottles, and I'll get them to make another one long enough to run the generator at our house. I put a 3 fuel carb on it last fall, and it could run for days if needed. We had plenty of candles, clean fuel old school Dietz lanterns, and Streamlight LED lanterns. The LED lanterns worked great, and I'll get a few more of those. On low, they last 11 days, and they're the safest of the other options. Food, fuel, bottled water, and winterization of the chicken coop and goat shed, were all handled before the super cold weather hit. Those were the best decisions we made.

AL