Originally Posted by Downrigger56304
Can some of you guys from Texas explain to me why your power companies have to shut off power during this cold spell? I heard some windmills froze but it has to be more than that. I know schools and some businesses in North Dakota had their power turned off to help with the rolling blackouts in Texas. Do you guys rely on renewable energy too much and that’s what is causing this?

Many Fossil power plants underwent a conversion in their boilers to burn Natural Gas instead of Coal.

During extreme weather period such as now, the supply of Natural Gas is prioritized first to the home owner, and then second, or even third, to the power plants. If then don't have Natural Gas, then they can't create electricity.

It's also important for John & Jane Q. Public to understand that for whatever 'renewable' energy source (wind, solar) exists to provide power under a contract to a city/state, there has to be a 100% fossil back up for when there is no wind or sun. Otherwise, no city or state would ink a contract for power 'sometimes.' Well, maybe California....

edit: I see TGW and anthropic covered the Natural Gas/Coal issue.

Last edited by Sunil; 02/17/21 08:14 AM.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."