Yes there is a very strong LMB population. I know there are at least some larger ones (5-7lb range) - I have caught one about 6lbs and I have seen some pics of a few others and there are large schools of smaller ones (1-2lb range and growing fast) that roam the open water. Threadfin shad were added about 2 years ago and now it is quite a sight to see the schools of bass attack them - the water looks like it is boiling and no matter what lure you cast in the water when this is happening, each treble hook will have a bass on it. The lake is a private community lake (one of 2, both are about the same size - we have a house on the upper one). They are fed by a couple of creeks, maybe some springs in it also (I have never seen it drop below "full" and the overflow into the second lake seems stronger than the volume coming in from the creeks) - the second lake dumps into a river behind it. I would guess that they were built 50-70 years ago and my understanding is that the dams were repaired about 20-25 years ago (I assume that they were drained out at this time). They do have some silting and muck issues (the lakes are surrounded by trees and dirt/clay comes in from the creeks during strong storms), but generally speaking they seem to be in pretty good shape and are pretty clean/healthy. I have heard that at one point 5-10 years ago that they were top notch crappie fisheries, but the residents thought that most of the crappie were gone until I started catching some - what crappie that are there now are all larger. I have caught some good sized bream also. I have done a good bit of fishing for catfish and all I have caught have been the ones I described above so I'm guessing there are not many catfish in it. Most of the residents that live on the lake are older and do not fish or come out to the water. I love the water and love to fish (all catch and release) and just want to keep the lake in good shape and see if I can help out the bream population.
There is very little structure in the pond (which is one reason why I want to add some) and very few wetland type plants. I want to add some plants on my shoreline (to help keep leaves out) so any recommendations on ones that will not cause issues would be great. My shore is very shady due to the trees and the fact that it is north facing. I think that some plants would also help out the smaller fish and give them a chance to get larger before they are eaten.