Originally Posted by liquidsquid
Sometimes you forget the logistics of moving large equipment. Interesting thread! Here in NY I always wondered why bridge weights seemed so excessive. Now I know. It is to accommodate construction.

The old neighbor across from me built his pond using several of those massive earth movers to dig 5 acres. When they were delivered, they closed the roads for them to pass. My neighbor had an in as he was the son of a large building and maintenance firm, so I am sure it cost someone big $$$ to transport the equipment, probably not him.

Saw/felt those machines running around, and was scared to think a large housing tract was going in. They were running 12 hours a day for several days. The pond turned out nice and held water, apart from they didn't preserve the topsoil. Nothing grows around it well so it looks a bit dumpy.

The new owners are fixing things up.

Just noticed you're from NY. I'm originally from the Watkins Glen area. Living in NY actually gave me my first pond fishing experience. My friend I went to school with had a pond and the Bluegills were so big, you didn't know if you hooked one of them or a Bass when you got a bite. If I knew then what I know now, I would've tried to stock some CC in there (didn't previously know that CC could live that far north).

I've been in NC now for about 12 years, but I still miss NY.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller