Good feedback guys - appears I may extend the battery life by keeping them solar charged in feeder year round, but I wonder how the timers will respond to extreme Winter temps. I am still using my original timers [over 10 years old] and am thinking that may be in part because I pull them for Winter and prevent exposure to cold temps. I don't have any evidence to support this - I haven't performed a comparison, just my gut sensing that frigid temps may shorten the life of my timers. I certainly don't want to trade a couple years of extra life on $16 batteries for replacing far more expensive replacement timers.

I did find this recently regarding charging Lithium:

You can use a lead-acid charger to charge lithium batteries as long as you can set the maximum voltage of the charger and as long as the charger does not have an automatic equalization mode enabled.

Most modern chargers will let you turn that feature off, and assuming it is turned off, the charger should be safe to use.

If you opt to use a lead-acid charger with the equalization mode disabled to charge a lithium-ion battery, then you must disconnect the battery as soon as it is fully charged, to avoid damage to the battery.

The ideal option, however, is to use the correct charger type for the battery. There are multi-mode chargers that can be used to charge any kind of battery and that have features to protect the battery and prolong its life.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 01/15/21 03:18 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]