Hello everyone!
In August I purchased a 23 acre property with about an acre pond. The previous owners treated it with some sort of algaecide. I have not treated it since and it appears to have developed a nice phytoplankton bloom, along with a population of filamentous algae.

The pond was constructed in its current form in 2010. It is primarily spring fed and during a decent rain a creek runs in from the neighbor's farm. He has a small herd of cattle.

I have seen large mouth bass, bluegill, and four giant grass carp. I know the previous owners regularly stocked the pond but I have no records.

The previous owners liked a nice lawn, so bermuda grass runs right up to the water's edge.

I have a background in biology and would like to restore more biodiversity to the pond and edges. My goal is to get a handle on the nutrients naturally, without using an algaecide. BUT, since this is year one, I am worried that I will have a huge, overwhelming explosion in algae growth in the spring and summer if I don't treat the pond this year.

So, experienced pond bosses, should I treat my pond with algaecide this year until I get my plan rolling? Or let it be and see what happens?

Thanks!
Rachel