I have a unit of Soil Floc here that I will be using as a test in VERY sandy soils and incorporating it into the soil before the pond is filled. I had hoped to do the test this Fall, but the weather turned too cold too fast to get the test done. I think I have figured out how to get water into the pond without causing erosion which would disrupt the Soil Floc compacted area.

Going to dig a few small ponds here and need to find the most cost effective way to seal them. No clay in the area unless I dig down 21 feet.......

Here locally, the water table is high enough and the soil porous enough that digging any pond deeper than 8-10 feet result in water upwelling into the pond during construction. That precludes easily incorporating any "sealer" into areas of the pond that are deeper than that, but maybe if a deep sump is dug to let the seepage accumulate, and the material incorporated as best as possible into the surrounding soil. then Soil Floc applied to that sump area after the pond is full, may be a way to seal new ponds locally.

The biggest unknown is the groundwater table. I believe that if the water level in the pond is high enough (i.e. higher than the water table level outside the pond) then the water pressure inside the pond will prevent the water outside the pond from seeping into the pond, and pushing the sealing material out of the soil and into the water in the pond. I think that will be a problem that needs to be considered in locations where a well cannot be used to initially fill a pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).