Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
It a pond that size you might have water movement throughout the entire body of water no matter where you put the diffuser. There's a guy in Minnesota that runs his aeration right through the entire winter and his LMB do very well. Maybe it's because they are used to those conditions?? I don't know - I am not an expert. But I have been told on here many times that the science of winter aeration is far from complete. Please post what you end up doing and then post some updates and results as well. Not many folks with frozen over ponds posting this kind of info.

I can chime in on winter-aeration for you, from Wisconsin.
Some history from previous owner, without aeration, revealed that during the spring thaw, sometimes it appeared that "all the fish died" in 1.2 acre pond.

On my 4th winter now, all with aeration, spring thaw walk arounds show a just couple small BG total lost each year. Guessing those somehow got caught in the ice shallows.

First year, 2 diffusers 24-7 in the deepest parts (11 feet). The open water on the far end of pond got attention of some Otters. Added BG, YP and young LMB in spring.

Second year, 2 diffusers 24-7, shutdown Otter favorite far end diffuser and ran two nearer to house in 7 feet.

Third year, same as second year.

Each year, probably some "supercooling" happened, we get some stretches well below zero, but all the fish were quite healthy in spring. By the 3rd year had to heavily cull LMB population as it was exploding and BG were getting scarce. The stocked YP are getting big, not sure they have multiplied though.