I see that it was June 2011 that I first wandered into these hallowed precincts, wondering if madness had seized me - with the desire for a pond. I haven't been taken away yet; and neither has the pond.

The floating island is still floating - surprisingly, considering the plant mass atop it. Note the arrow in the upper right. It's reason for being will be clearer later in this post.
[Linked Image from spillerfamily.info]

The now constant-for-two-years watermeal and duckweed cover means the water has become a little anaerobic and it's beginning to smell that way, too. So . . .

My 2021 New Year resolution is to bite the bullet and buy that pond surface skimmer that I mentioned, back in this post.

The stark reality is being past the point of no return, so-to-speak. I.e. What's the point of getting this far, to be cheated of full enjoyment by some weed?

Trevor has done her thing - again - and is raising nine little tykes. She brings them over to the house for some kibbled maize, several times a day.

Seems that (because I host it, personally) I can't add the video in here, but this is the link to it.

Important if last - I hope all you USA-based pond aficionados have survived. Physically and financially. New Zealand has fared well, but not quite to the extent of the rosy pictures that are portrayed in some o'seas media. My wider area (two provinces - NZ is about the size of Colorado) has had no new cases since 28 April 2020. Some of the main centre cities have not fared quite so well, but many of the new cases being reported are already in (or associated with) managed quarantine facilities.

The economic impact has been cushioned by massive amounts of government borrowings (using govt. bonds) and that has kept the country afloat, financially, for now. Tourism was one of NZ's biggest foreign currency earners and employers. It is only a few steps from complete ruin, as in-bound flights bringing international tourists have been (and still are) banned.