Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Guys what is g/g/year? How confident are we that the aging of the 3yr NP was correct? Did they use scales, otoliths, or was the Lake renovated?

Bill the paper can be found here. The consumptions were taken by gastric lavage where it was possible to release fish. Those that were not morts were aged by scales but mortalities aged by otolith (I presume because a combination of these two aging techniques were used.

g/g/year is the specific consumption rate which in long hand is consumption mass per predator mass per year. Except for the time rate, the metric is dimensionless and so the factor doesn't change depending on the unit of mass/weight used. In other words, lbs/lbs/year is the same number. They didn't provide yearly rates but rather daily rates of specific consumption. I converted them to yearly rates by multiplying their reported mean daily rates of each season by 91 days (~ 3 months). I did this because we generally talk about yearly consumption of prey here on the forum.

The lakes were not renovated and the Long Lake carried NP for a longer span of time than any other lake having been stocked by Arizona Wildlife in the 60's.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers