If they are using the pier, I would try a baited bucket with a conibear in front of it down in the water nearby. I don't know if I'll be able to explain this well, but you cut small notches on either side of the opening of a 5 gallon bucket so that a 220 conibear can sit in front with the spring inside the slots. Then, drill 2 small holes in the bottom so you can run wire into the bucket to wire a fish in place at the bottom. Sink the bucket so there is 18" or more water over it, place the 220 in the notches, and wire the trap chain to a concrete block or stake off to the side. Not as effective, in my opinion, as blind sets on their trails, but since you know they are frequenting that spot I would be confident in a catch.

What size legholds are you using rtripple?

On conibears, there are safety latches on both springs and I don't put my hands anywhere near the jaws without them on. Removing them is the very last thing I do after the set is totally made. Still hurts if you get pinched, but at least you won't get the full force of the trap.