Hey 45,

I am in the same general boat as you, and not to brag, but think I am in a little better starting position, haha! I just bought some property in the Plantersville area. The pond on it is about 1/8 acre, and was made sometime between 1958 and 1965. I have some vegetation around the edges, but have seen some bluegill and some decent largemouth (which have no problems eating grasshoppers that get thrown in the pond!). I am trying to figure out if I should just leave it, or if I should try digging it out and addressing the vegetation issues.

One thing I have thought about doing, is digging a larger (roughly 2 acre) pond on the back of the property, and then once it is stocked, converting this smaller one to a catfish only pond. I would pellet feed them to keep the size up, and it would be a great small pond where the kids are almost guaranteed to catch something.

If you want to get a fairly accurate size, I recommend using google maps. You can zoom in as far as possible, right click a point on the edge of the pond, choose measure distance, then click points all around the edge, until you get back to the start point. It will give you the area, and you can either use google to convert it (just search for sq ft to acres), or just divide the area by 43,560. I added a picture for you. My pond measure .1446 acres, which is just over 1/8th.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has any input. Best of luck with yours!

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached Images
pond area.jpg
Last edited by BranClanFarm; 12/13/20 09:51 PM.