I am quickly learning that there is no off time in pond management. After attacking the overpopulated catfish all spring and summer I figured I was done with the pond and time to deer hunt. During bow season I could see two otters swimming in my pond 8 acre pond. There is also at least one beaver that I have not seen but the evidence in my woods is apparent. I immediately bought a trapping license and am attempting to take care of the problems.

That being said, if I saw two otters is there a high likelihood they are more or just those two. Should I assume my bass have been destroyed and I need to restock this spring? Will they eat smaller fish like bluegills as well or do they pretty much just go after bass and catfish.

I walked the bank and took the boat out around the pond i did not locate any dead fish (I’m sure I just didn’t find the pile.)

Is there any way to deter otters from coming to pond. Or will they just follow Creek’s and streams in winter and it’s inevitable. I’d rather not have otters be my enemy but choices seem limited.