RAH,

When you mentioned the chain pickerel it never occurred to me that they may not be native in your state. But digging around looking for fish for Johnny Max to scout out I found that the NAS doesn't show them as native in their maps. They show a nonnative population in the area where Kentucky and Ohio meet with Indiana. Northern Indiana has Northern Pike. Oddly enough, NAS says that redfin pickerel are distributed throughout the state. Where they are plentiful, they are the apex predator (backwaters with DO problems and shallow, intermittent, creeks). Just really learning about them. They seem to be panfish sized apex predator that tops out at 12 to 15 ". Based on what I have learned they are very good to eat. Its probably much better as a standalone predator than Warmouth would be. They are actually often found where Warmouth are found. Anyways its a pickerel that you can source locally without bringing the powers that be down on you.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/03/20 10:37 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers