Originally Posted by ewest
From a legal perspective this alone is enough to cause concern. Once an object (fish) is owned by the State it can not be taken and converted to private ownership without State approval. Be careful.

You are exactly correct. For the process to be legal, there must be a step wherein the conversion is legal.

I have been told by both a game warden and Snipe's biologist that it is legal to convert a fish owned by the state to a fish in your private waters.

I want to see a regulation that specifically states the conditions for this conversion to be legally accomplished. (I believe I have now read every single Kansas wildlife statute and regulation. There is nothing that addresses the issue.)

My initial goals were to try a spotted bass experiment in one pond and a local baitfish experiment in a forage pond.

I think in this case, ewest's "be careful" should be properly translated to "no".

I might try an email to the biologist for my region and seek an approval in writing before I ever attempt anything.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Rod