I live in Texas, so I cannot comment for Kansas, but here you can can take any fish as long as it is taken legally with the proper license. However, if you want to transport them, it states you cannot take water from a public waterway or lake. So essentially, you have to bring a cooler/container of water with you, put the fish you catch in that water, then you can transport them. You CANNOT transport them and release them in another public waterway/lake. This is how a local Game Warden explained it to me (and showed me the law) when I asked about catching fish to stock in my private lake.

Here is the exact excerpt he showed me: "Live fish, including personally caught live bait, cannot be transported from the water body where the fish were caught in or aboard a vessel in water from the water body where the fish were caught. Personally caught live bait can be used in the water body where it was caught."

If Kansas is anything like Texas, just call your local Game Warden. I have always found them extremely helpful when it comes to stuff like this. They are typically sportsman themselves, and are happy to help you out.

Last edited by BranClanFarm; 11/29/20 05:30 PM.