Originally Posted by Bobbss
With all this tractor talk going on I figure I might as well ask a few questions.
I more or less inhairited a little John Deere 4110 a couple years ago. It has a MMM and using it to mow the yard is the only thing I've used it for. I do have a front loader and snow plow for it but have never used them. I've been thinking about getting a small brush hog and maybe a box blade for it to use over at my property where my pond is. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a 4110 or similar using a box blade and brush hog? Also wondering how big of a pain in the butt is it to take the MMM off and on so I can use it for these things? With it only being 20 hp, I'm not sure how much work it can do, and would hate to buy stuff and it not be worth it.

I had a JD2620 that I think was 26 hp and looks to be about the same physical size. I did a lot of stuff with that little tractor while building my main pond. Very handy. Put a box blade or weight box and wheel weights if you do a lot of loader work. Over working that little front end gears can get expensive. Make the back end do work to when using the loader and that takes ballast on the back end. You will want a 48" brush hog type mower and a box blade width that just covers the rear tires. Good news is those size implements can be bought really reasonable at farm stores and with the horsepower you are dealing with you will not have to worry about tearing the lower cost implements up. You did not say if it was an 8 speed or hydrostat. Hydrostat is handier but the standard transmission works too. FIL has a JD970 with standard transmission and think it has over 2500 hours on it now.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine