I can imagine letting a single male LMB slip into my female-only pond. The experts post how easy it is to "sex" some of your fish. (I think both LMB and BG are on the "easy" list?) Yet one rookie mistake would set you back by several years!

This isn't really true but is a widely held superstition. I can demonstrate this isn't true simply by comparing it to ponds where dual sex and LMB reproduction is intended for the selection of trophy recruits. These ponds can still grow trophies despite having males in the population. Why? Well for one thing the population of LMB in a trophy pond is skewed towards females because males are routinely culled. Having a size structure concentrated in large females is self fulfilling in some respects. In other words, the conditions prevail that there are few LMB and very few LMB nests. Also, conditions prevail that small BG are numerous making LMB YOY survival low and nesting success is diminished too. So this condition favors Female bass but still can support a small number of males.

So if a trophy pond with both sexes has more male LMB than you might introduce on a plan of female only ... how could the female only pond with a single mistake be ruined? One of the more difficult things to growing trophies is getting the pond sufficiently culled of males. If this can be accomplished, one can grow big bass. So trying to establish a female only pond isn't doomed to failure as it pertains to growing trophies. It facilitates establishing the desired population structure making it easier to achieve and maintain.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/28/20 09:42 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers