Originally Posted by ewest
My personal choice would be several of different sizes as that gives you more options.

Thanks for that advice based on all of your experience. That was exactly my initial plan. However, I wanted to make an "informed choice". The more I read on the Pond Boss forum, the more I reveal all of the different gaps in my knowledge. I still don't know the "right" pond sizes to pick.

I am going to get my plan on paper and then the NRCS guys are going to drill me some more soil samples at the proposed pond sites. (I think they can get down to 25'). Hopefully, I will only have to slightly modify my plans to compensate for what the actual dirt will allow.

Your first link is a classic and I have read it several times. The real experts got into some very deep discussions - which inevitably lead to several "it all depends" statements. I learn more from those discussions, because the advice has moved well beyond simple, generalized statements.

That thread also produced one of the most succinct definitions I have ever read on Pond Boss. Dave Davidson said, "Maximum carrying capacity, to me, is that number I reach right before the fish kill."