We have yet to discuss the goal of the SAE grow out but it would seem to me that the most important one to be met is the mean length at the end of grow out. I am thinking this is most important because the SAE will be introduced into environments with existing predators after the growout.

I figure you have a plan already of what the fry density (of SAE) will be and these will be stocked in a freshly flooded water (two weeks prior) and fertilized (probably by organics). When stocking newly hatched fry for the purpose of advanced fingerling grow out, getting the number just right can be tricky. If you have to many fry survive, then the lengths will be shorter, too few, you may not grow as many as you could have. But if minimum length is critically important, you may want a two stage process where you grow out and collect a specified number of stage one fry.

In a scenario where both YP and SAE are both introduced as newly hatched fry, it will be doubly difficult to predict the number of fingerlings (both YP and SAE) that will be present at the end of growout ... so just something to think about. If minimum length is important, the numbers must be controlled on the back end or there is no control at all. A first stage fry (1.5" to 2") stocking will help you control the back end as their survival is far more predictable.

So this brings me to my next question. Is your plan to also grow some fingerling YP too or is the motivation solely to provide food for the SAE?

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/22/20 09:55 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers