Originally Posted by Snipe
Bill C., any idea what adding (over abundant) perch ribbons would do for forage potential in 1 of the runs intended for SAE grow out? with both species hatching at near the same time, is it likely this could go the opposite direction?

I know this question wasn't intended for me but I think the concerns are warranted if they hatch near the same time. Many predators hatch sufficiently before their primary prey to gain sufficient advantage to overcome competitive pressure through predation. I don't know the relationships between WYE and YP let alone how the Sauger crossing affects this timing. But it seems that to be ideal the YP need to hatch such that their size at hatching is at (or probably preferably below) the optimum size of prey the SAE need. If they are larger than this they will represent competition that will impact the SAE growout.

In general, for advanced fingerling production of primary predators, predators that become piscivorous early in life (e.g. at length ~ 2"), the presence of fish prey (fry) is very important for maximizing production (unless you will be feed training), lengths, and survival. I have additional thoughts if you are interested.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers