Idea #1
Use an excavator to cut 1-2 trenches through the proposed pond site. I can draw the water into an existing waterway that is lower than the clay level - if I extend my trench far enough in the "downstream" direction.

This might work to drain the free water off of the blue clay horizon, IF the sand stringers are fairly contiguous. (I believe they are.)

I could then excavate the pond using a dozer during our next drought. However, I think the blue clay would still be "wet" in this scenario, it would just not have free-standing water.

Idea #2
Do the dozer work in stages. Excavate the "overburden" of the topsoil and sandy clay horizon at the next good opportunity. Cut some trenches in the blue clay to help it dry out. Come back in during the next drought and finish the rest of the excavation work with a dozer. (Mo' stages, mo' money! And our family finances are not great at this point.)

Idea #3
Do the dozer work as above to move out the overburden. Use a long-reach excavator to perform all of the deep portions of the pond that require excavating in the wet blue clay.

Any better ideas, cost estimates for these ideas, or ways to improve the process would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Rod.