Good Morning,

I am purchasing a home with a beautiful pond, but I have no idea what pond management entails. I am a single female, and while I have no problem doing required maintenance, I would at least like to understand what I am in for and what may be best left to an expert. I sent a list of questions to the sellers a few weeks ago about pond maintenance, but they have yet to respond. I don’t even know the pond’s size. Pics to help estimate the size are attached. All they’ve shared is that it was recently dredged and is about 8ft in the center, 4ft around the edge. It’s also stocked. I’ve identified blue gills so far, some gold fish and lots of frogs, but have no idea of what else may be in there or the population. As for drainage, there’s a wooden sliding drain door that looks like it drains under the driveway, toward the main road. I’m assuming it drains to the nearby creek. I see from this community, I will have no shortage of experts to educate me once I'm settled in the home, so any information that will lead me in the right direction will be great. Thanks for all responses in advance. Here are a few questions I already have.

1. Considering the size, what is a good estimate for annual maintenance on the lowest and highest end? Is it possible (easy) to perform some maintenance myself to keep the pond healthy and costs down? Or best to leave it to the experts?

2. What is typically required for maintenance, on a monthly, annual, seasonal schedule?

3. Is it necessary to have maintenance records and proof from seller that they dredged the pond?

4. The property is located in the Chicago area, so cold weather is a factor. Anything else to consider?

Is there anything else I should know from the sellers other than maintenance? Any info provided is greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Attached Images
PIc 2.JPG IMG_0374 2.jpg Pond.JPG
Last edited by Lenox; 11/22/20 12:02 PM.