MOFisherme, I have a very similar situation as yours except my pond is about 4.5 acres. Since 2013, we have stocked RBT every November so that the heroes with Project Healing Waters will have a nice place to fly fish throughout the winter months. We usually stock 200 10-12" once the water temps hit about 55 degrees. In my area, that is usually early November. This year, I stocked the RBT last Thursday and they usually start 'piping' and dying off in early June or when the water temps are consistently 65 degrees. I aerate my pond so the outside air temps cool or heat the water a tad quicker.

I run 2 of my Texas Hunter feeders three times a day for 3 secs each. If the geese are not around, I use AquaMax MVP. Once the geese show up, I change over to Ziegler Finfish G 42-16 5mm sinking feed. The RBT aggressively feed on both. Normally, the RBT will top out at about 2.5 to 3lbs by late April. For some strange reason, last year, the heroes caught several in the high 3lb and low 4lb range and not just one or two but 15-20 of them were in this category. When they died off, I netted out 28 'floaters' on June 10 and almost all of them was in the 18" range.

As a note of caution and learn from my dummy self.....remember that RBT will seek flowing water. If you have an open drain, make sure you put a grate or chicken wire across it. Same for your emergency overflow. When I first stocked in 2013, they headed straight for the drain pipe. I fixed that but didn't pay any attention to the overflow. Last year, we had about 8" of rain in 24 hours and the water hit the spill way across the drive. We quickly built a chicken wire fence and were able to net off the driveway most of those that had "escaped" but it was an all night PIA.

As a final note, I once had a fair amount, almost overabundunce, of small 3-4" LMB. The RBT will help fix that problem as well as any crappie fry. When you start catching them for keeps, make sure you look at their stomach contents. In my case, I was pleasantly surprised and I feel like my LMB population is a little more in line with where it should be and my crappie population appears to have diminished somewhat...or it may just be a figment of my imagination smile

Hope this helps and best of luck to you

Last edited by Freedomeagle; 11/19/20 09:48 PM.