Regarding Grass carp R&R from Indiana said " my experience as it pertains to Grass Carp. Added 30 Grass Carp to my pond 10 acre pond (3/acre) in 2013 because of Southern Naiad. within two years Naiad was wiped out completely. Not sure that's what I wanted but..........I do believe that it has prevented my black crappie from getting out of control based on nowhere to hide." R&R probably has the correct assumption that the loss of the dense naiad weed cover allowed the bass to forage heavily on the crappie.

DeanCutter - GC have plant eating preferences so the results in your pond could be similar, different or quite different depending on the weed species and preferences of the GC. Note R&R's weed problem was southern naiad which is a finely divided delicate plant with maybe a unique or palatable flavor. Your pond does not have naiad according to the report. In my experiences with GC, I have noticed that not all GC eat the same weed species as well. This is probably similar to people who some do not like spinach nor broccoli while some people relish these foods. Individual preferences occur probably even in fish. It will be interesting to learn how well your 10/acre GC deal with your weed problem.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/17/20 04:10 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management