These are all good ideas. You just need to decide which ones to implement. Based on your angler pond goals of: take the grandkids fishing and enjoy catching some decent sized bass. IMO decent sized bass range in size of 3 to 5 lbs would excite most anglers. I am not sure that jpsdad's idea of "fast track a small number of LMB of exceptional genetics" is the best plan for your situation; although it is a sound plan for some goals. IMO your current LMB genetics and population could easily grow easily 1 lb (1+inch) or more per year without added expense IF you insure some of the current bass get enough or ample food daily. The fish growing season is longer in GA so you could get 2"+ of growth on some of your bass in one year. Here is how.

jpsdad's suggestion is sound for "..... you can begin to mix BG (and speckled catfish) meat chunks to them" or just use injured small BG. LMB will eat a larger than normal BG if the BG is a very easy catch meal. The common practice previously described on our forum is to accumulate small BG in a cage or in a holding box. Then when you feed the BG dip out or catch some small BG, cut off their tails or injure them and toss them out with the BG pellets. It is surprising how fast the LMB will learn to get conditioned to this feeding pattern that if it is done regularly, it quickly grows bigger bass. Often the larger female bass will dominate this injured fish feeding frenzy, thus you end up growing several or numerous usually female bass to big sizes quicker. Expect to grow some bass easily to 6 to 8 pounds when this is done regularly for several years. This type of feeding activity is usually lots of fun for adults and kids, plus the kids will be more willing to help catch small fish. Small BG and "speckled catfish" can also be easily collected with baited traps for feeding the "pet bass".

I'm not sure what speckled catfish are but I assume they are small channel catfish that often have small spots.
https://www.hookedoncatfish.com/what-is-a-speckled-catfish/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/16/20 07:52 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management