Given the choice of too much submerged vegetation and all vegetation denuded by carp and crayfish, I think I would prefer the latter. Since you have a dock and I think fish primarily from a boat, you might consider changing the mix of plants to reduce nutrients available to the BPW through competition. Perhaps some emergent weeds like arrowhead could help with this. Emergent weeds tend to die back after the critical periods subject to carrying capacity limitations. Some other choices might be resistant to the carp and reduce the BPW growth and standing weights.

Tracy, you are now a case study on controlling BPW and adapting to conditions after a fish kill. There will be a lot on you plate as you adapt your management strategy. I recall you mentioned that you noticed more LMB recruits subsequent to the kill. I think this could be one of next year's challenges that didn't seem to a problem in years past. Have you given much thought to population management going forward to transition your pond back to trophy status?

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/16/20 04:05 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers