Originally Posted by Deancutler
Thanks for the advice Bill.

So from what I'm hearing is:

1. Remove 100 lbs of LMB under 14" a year and keep records.

2. Feed the BG that I currently have and grow my own forage for the LMB.

3. Give the GC time to do what they do.

4. Don't lime yet from jpsdad and Bill Cody made reference to the alkalinity. Do I need to find out what the alkalinity is and then make a decision or just wait until the spring and reevaluate?

Should I plan on NOT using any herbicide on the vegetation in the spring? I'm concerned that if the alkalinity is off the herbicide won't be as effective. (Think that I read that somewhere.)

I plan on purchasing a feeder which should help with the consistency of the feeding. Currently with the time change, I may get home late and not be able to feed everyday.

What am I missing guys?

Dean

Dean:

Here, we recommend removing 30# of LMB per surface acre in a LMB crowded pond for the first year and monitor the RW's of the fish that are caught. 2nd year depending on the RW's, remove another 30# per acre or drop back to the maintenance level of 20#/surface acre.

Your alkalinity is 8 per your previous post.

The feeder is a great idea. When placing the feeder on the pond, feed so the food is thrown the same direction that the prevailing winds are blowing, and throw the feed over and area that is 2'-4'/5' deep max and near cover for the Bluegills.

Look at Optimal Fish Food, it might be the same food, but I've never heard of the type of food that they recommend.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).