Originally Posted by Deancutler
My plan is to begin removing all LMB below 14". Is there a target number of pounds of fish that I should be removing? How do I know when I have removed enough in any given time span? In other words, whats my goal and how do I know that I am on target?

Just work with that length and try to remove 20 lbs/acre this year (including what you may have already taken since August). Take measurements and weights and keep a record so you can track the progress. If you read Bocomo's experience you will notice that his RW improved from the first fall harvest to his spring creel sample. Even though no new production of BG took place, fewer mouths to feed made a difference over winter.

Do you think that I need to add any CNBG in the spring or just keep feeding?

IMHO, you will make more 2" fry next year if don't add them. They are reproduction machines as they are and need space to grow into more than more eggs and nests. If you can grow 10,000 2" or greater per acre next year, you will have an abundance of forage. You don't need 10s of millions of fry to swim up from the nests, what you need is 10,000 fry to make it a size that they are feeding your 14" and larger LMB which begins at about 3". Eliminating a good weight of small bass is going to help with that. Feed and lime will do the rest.

I am also in the process of adding lots of structure to the pond to aid in safe areas for the smaller fish.

good plan it will help you produce more YOY.

Lastly, he advised me in person not to lime. I had the water tested at the county extension office and they recommended 1.5 tons per acre. He said, don't waste your money.

It could be a windfall of productivity if there is very much in the way of nutrients that are not finding their way into the food chain due to low PH. But the mileage one gets can vary. Still if PH is limiting your production, the effect could be worth a whole lot of feed and which effect could be felt for an extended period. Something to think about. It might also work so well as to grow more weeds and algae than you care for. Personally I would rather have a leaner pond with clearer water. The more water one has the more he can allow this leaner condition and still have plenty of fish. 5 acres can be a lot of water especially if its running at a pretty good clip so these are things to consider. If you need it, by all means do it, but if you can delay eutrophication and all the headaches that come with it ... well there's a positive there too. If you can wait a bit, the response of the fish to your harvest and the ponds response to the feed inputs could give you more information from which to make that decision from.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/12/20 09:29 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers