I am always going to edit out any self-derogatory remarks anyone posts and I am just going to say that you have done nothing to deserve those self-inflicted wounds.

When your HSB died I felt your loss. But you should know that fish kill can happen in any pond whether it is fed, fertilized, or neither. That said, a kill will only happen when conditions prevail that the standing weight exceeds the carrying capacity. It is very easy for a pond to attain standing weights that exceed carrying capacity. This has happened in several ponds where the experience has be recently posted, in the case of Phonzie and another member, there were drought conditioned that concentrated fish in a small area. The reduction of volume and area was too much and fish died.

In most any year fish standing weights exceed carrying capacity and some what we may deem natural mortality occurs to restore balance. The stressful conditions take the weak and the old and we don't even notice what is happening. As Dave mentions from time to time "Lusk says that few dead fish float".

Originally Posted by TGW1
It is my understanding that you want the largest forage fish to remain in the pond because they produce the most fry that then grow into the most needed correct sized forage fish that provides the good growth to your trophy's. My first attendance to the Pond Boss Conference it was said you want couch potato bass. Meaning that the lmb never had to move much in order to eat and gain wt. smile

I've highlighted both of those sentences as go and no go. The green sentence is a go and it should come before the red sentence. What is dangerous about the red sentence is that it is just too broad and it isn't moderated by true metrics. This is a case where being true isn't all inclusive. As the biologist members say, "it depends". There is substantial evidence that there is a goldilocks standing weight of mature BG that produce the most fry. So a properly constrained true statement is that you want a goldilocks standing weight of large BG for the breeding population. Anything more than that is going to reduce production of the fry that you need to grow those LMB. You have low visibility due to fertile water and so conditions favor survival of fry and BG spawning. Tracy, sometimes the truth seems counter-intuitive but on deeper reflection will make sense. If 40 lbs/acre of BG adults is really good for the production of YOY BG ... why isn't 400 lbs of BG adults 10 times better? The answer lies in that the pond is a closed system with limited resources. You can easily fill the 360 lbs of remaining carrying capacity with YOY when the adults do not occupy it. One has to push the standing weight beyond carrying capacity to produce the same weight of YOY if the standing weight of adults is very high.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers