I'm aggravated by all the suggestions to only aerate during the night to keep the water temps down. I have yet to see temp data and O2 data to support that suggestion. Without solid data to support that I wouldn't. Without the data that is the same as someone saying here, take this prescription medicine for what ails ya, without a doctor saying so. I will change my way of thinking if hard data is provided, but all the people that are on the forum saying to do it cannot furnish data.

Aeration systems that are designed for ponds are typically designed to give a certain number of turns of water (water that is brought up from the depths to the pond surface to absorb O2 from the atmosphere) when run for 24 hours per day. If only running part time, then the number of turns isn't achieved and more damage could be done than good by not keeping the O2 levels up in the pond. ONLY if the system is designed from the get go to only run part time of the 24 hour day should it be run like that, and that would mean a system that is designed for a pond that has twice the water volume.

The reason that I am aggravated by it is that about 10 years ago I tried running it part time to keep the water temperature down (I had trout in the pond) due to the people on here suggesting that without providing data and I wanted to keep the pond water cooler so they'd live longer into the summer. What I found out was that they actually lived longer if I didn't aerate at all, because the water actually warmed up faster and they croaked. I only ran the system when the night time temps were below 70°F. On the flip side of the coin, I was able to keep trout alive longer if I ran the system 24/7 and ran a surface agitator 24/7 too. That raised the O2 levels in the pond high enough so that the trout would stay alive in water temps that were 79-80 degrees.

Last edited by esshup; 10/23/20 11:57 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).