Originally Posted by Johnny Burnette
Why in the world would you pay up front?????? If I was hiring someone that couldn't do the work first and get paid later I would not use them....I owned my own refrigeration business for years and I would NEVER ask for cash up front unless it was a customer I had issues out of previously.

I know, I messed up. I just got caught up in the whole thing, got anxious, and felt like he was being sincere. I wanted it done, and when he said he needed more money to get it done, I gave in. I figured that if I said no, that it wouldn't get done.

Regarding the liens, I don't even know if he has his own equipment. He said that he did when he came out to give me an estimate, but all of his equipment had rental stickers on it, so I'm not sure. When I say "all of his equipment" he really only a skid steer and a mini excavator (track hoe). He never brought any big equipment out.

I'm currently looking into the timber theft, and seeing what I can do about it. Thank you all for the support and advice. I got a guy coming out next week (the first guy who gave me a quote), to see how much it will cost to finish this project. All I have left is the dam, making the sides a bit wider, and the tree removal. Most of the trees are already knocked/cut down, and are laying in the pond bottom.

Originally Posted by gehajake
That is so sad to hear, makes me mad, the problem with a lien is that people of his caliber probably owes more on the equipment then its worth or doesn't even own the equipment, or its probably got several liens on it already, I hope you get some kind of restitution out of the guy. Good Luck, wish I had more confidence tho then I do that that will happen. Sorry

Yup, that's why I can't stand the court system, and this guy clearly knows how to play it very well. He did just enough work to think that maybe I won't file charges. Even if I take him to court and win, I probably won't see the money again. If he doesn't voluntarily pay up, then I need to take more legal action to try to get paid via wage garnishments or bank levies. I'd probably guess he has his assets hidden very well. Also have to consider court costs and/or lawyer fees if I decide to go that route. It's just a big mess right now.

Last edited by Steve_; 10/16/20 03:14 PM.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller