Hello,

I purchased a property in Franklin County MO 5 years ago, with a full pond right next to the house. Seemed like plenty of fish, inverts....cast a line from the deck. Awesome. Unfortunately I bought the property in late spring/early summer (it was even raining 2 of the 3 times we looked at the property before buying) and since I've never lived on a property with a pond before I never thought to ask how or when it was built, or any questions around it at all.

I've been here 5 years and it always fills up every spring but then gets very low, almost drying up in the late fall. When it's full it is roughly 4 foot deep at the shallow parts and roughly 8 foot deep at the deepest point. It's been very dry the past couple months so the shallow parts are now completely dry and the deep part is probably a couple feet. My neighbors pond is bigger (about 3/4 acre) and his is only down maybe 1-2 feet from normal so my 5 foot swing can't be normal.

I've never noticed any wetness on the back of my dam, but I do have vegetation grown up around the edge of the pond and a couple big trees growing into the dam. Also there seems to be erosion on the bank by the house so I'm wondering if I'm losing water into the bank or the sides of the bowls.

My ideal result is to have the pond just be a bowl thats 10 foot deep instead of the two levels it is now. And of course to only loose a couple feet of water over the course of the year. I have an excavator coming out tomorrow hopefully to take a look, but I'm hoping to get some knowledge from this forum as well.

Any help on next steps or things to request from the excavator is appreciated.

Last edited by markmarkmark; 10/15/20 04:23 PM.